Welcome to the Platteview Central Junior High School Counseling page. School counselors focus on three main domains: academic, career/college, and social emotional. I work with students on an individual basis, in small groups, and in advisory periods within classrooms!
Here are some reasons students might want to talk to the school counselor:
- “I had an argument with my friend, and she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore.”
- “Some kids in my science class are talking about fighting after school.”
- “My grandfather is really sick, and I’m scared he’s going to die.”
- “We’re moving again!”
- “My dad wants me to be an engineer like him, but I want to be a pilot.”
- “I am concerned my friend is harming herself. What do I do?”
Here are some reasons parents might want to talk to the school counselor:
- “This is John's third school this year, and he’s having difficulty adjusting.”
- “My husband is going to deploy in two weeks, and my daughter might need some help coping.”
- “Sam used to be excited about school, but lately he doesn’t seem to care.”
- “My wife and I recently separated, and our daughter could use some help understanding this.”
- “My son seems to be the target of some teasing and bullying after school. Can you help?”
About Sarah Svoboda
I am originally from McCook, Nebraska, where I attended McCook High School. After high school, I moved to Omaha to attend the University of Nebraska, where I earned a bachelor's degree in 7‚ English and health. I went on to complete a master's in secondary education‚ improvement of instruction and technology, and another master's in school counseling and preventative mental health from Creighton University. I am currently entering my eleventh year with Springfield Platteview Community Schools, and I feel very fortunate that my entire career has been spent here. I spent five years teaching English/Language Arts and am entering my sixth year as the school counselor. I really enjoy working with the kids during the school day as well as attending their school sporting events and activities! Outside of work, I stay busy spending time with my family. I've been married for ten years to my husband, Jordan. I have two daughters, Emery and Isla. We enjoy traveling, Minnesota Twins baseball, Disney World, and spending time with our friends and neighbors.